|Posted on:||Wednesday, 12th June, 2019|
CBM representatives and partners are joining governments and disability groups at the United Nations Headquarters in New York this week for the 12th session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (COSP).
COSP is an annual opportunity for States that have signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to report back on relevant activities and progress towards promoting the human rights of people with disabilities. It is also an important space for persons with disabilities to meet governments and other groups, and to share ideas and influence policies and programs. In addition to the Conference itself, a civil society forum took place on 10th June.
CBM at COSP
Several CBM experts and partners will be attending COSP to share expertise on disability and development and take part in discussions. Side events throughout the week provide a forum to discuss key issues and CBM is supporting, co-sponsoring, moderating or presenting several of these, including:
- 10 June, 1:15-2:30 pm “Including the furthest left behind: Disability Data Advocacy Working Group”
- 11 June 11:30-12:45 pm "Making Disability Visible in Disability Statistics"
- 11 June 3:00 – 4:15 pm “Digital Accessibility: strategies for disability Inclusion in E-governance platforms (Best Practices from the Global North and Global South)”
- 12 June, 3:00-6:00 pm “High-Level Meeting of Women with Disabilities in Political and Public Leadership: Towards Beijing 25”
- 13 June 6:30-8:00 pm "Making Inclusion a Reality!" (this will be webcast live)
- 14 June Workshop on the Measurement of Disability for DPOs Venue: Scandinavia House - 8:30 am-5:15 pm
On Friday, 14 June an all-day disability data workshop for organisations of persons with disabilities (DPOs) will take place outside of the UN. The workshop is being co-led and funded by CBM, in partnership with UNICEF, the International Disability Alliance, the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities, and the Washington Group on Disability Statistics.
In addition, CBM is co-sponsoring an event with the International Disability Alliance commemorating its 20th anniversary. CBM will receive an award for our partnership with IDA.
For regular updates from the conference, follow CBM International UN Representative Elizabeth Lockwood (@LockwoodEM) on Twitter.
Photo by Elizabeth Lockwood, Civil Society Forum, New York, 10th June 2019. © CBM